Merry Christmas from the Lotvolas!

Merry Christmas,
I, Mike, am sitting in the living room hanging out with two of my ladies. The girls just finished their last day of school this afternoon. They’re making crafts, doing a puzzle eating walnuts and giddy in anticipation of Christmas in two days. The lights are on, the house is decorated and we’re all keeping secrets these days. Christmas is upon us soon. We’re looking forward to a break after some busy months. We’re happy to still be here in Kaiserslautern and serving the church. After quite a bit of prayer and sharing about if we should move back to the US, we have had several answers to prayer and the confirmation that our place is still in Germany. Thank you to those who were praying with us.
In the recent months we have been asked by a few people from North America about the current refugee crisis here in Europe. Yes, we see every day how this is changing the face of our city. We live in one of the least affected areas of Germany, but we have facilities around the city where refugees from around the world are being housed. Our church and I have tried to do our part by meeting the needs as well as we can. The people we meet from Syria and various places don’t often need food or clothing, some do, but the biggest need right now is integration help. Many people don’t speak German. Some are professionals who speak decent English. But there are a few who don’t speak either. That brings me to the point where either I need to speak with hands and feet or give my Arabic a whirl. (I know 4 words in Arabic). So in January we want to start German language classes with a group of 12 or so. I’m really excited to begin. I usually spend about two days a week concentrating on work with refugees. The girls are also beginning to see more kids in school who only speak Arabic. It a great opportunity for us right now to share the love of Christ.
Church and our discipleship program (FSJ) are still running well. Even though we have a smaller group this year, it doesn’t matter, because they’re great. This team is hungry to grow and know Jesus more. The church seems to be going through a time of refreshment as well. Like I said, God is good. I am continued to be baffled by his faithfulness.
On Sunday I preached about Mary’s faithfulness and willingness to be submissive to the will of God. She was supposed to carry an amazing baby, but also to bear the brunt of the consequences of being found pregnant without being married, possibly losing her fiancĂ©, and perhaps even being stoned to death as an adulteress. What was her response to the angel? “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” She was immediately willing to do whatever God wanted her to. I’m sure her life wasn’t easier because of her response. She lost her good reputation, she almost lost her husband, and eventually had to flee to Egypt as a refugee. Life wasn’t easy being the mother of Jesus. But just imagine the blessing we believers have because of her faithfulness. We are blessed because of her willness to tough it out. That is my wish as well. I want to be a blessing even though it may not be easy, I may get criticized for helping foreigners, I might not see the fruit of this work, but God is faithful. 
So we will continue our work here in Germany,  trying to be as faithful as we can in the  small things hoping they will add up to a harvest . Thank you to all who continue to pray for and support us financially. Even though we far too rarely communicate with our home base, we don’t take you for granted. Thank you very much. You are appreciated.
Merry Christmas to all of you,

Mike 

Comments

Popular Posts