Raking Germany

You know what it's like to have to rake the yard? Leaves are turning and the trees are lightening their loads for the winter. They leave these dried up colorful carcasses all over the grass and I need to delegate the work to someone. Scheesch! Terrible isn't it?

When I was growing up I was the one delegated to go through the yard and collect the dried leaves of last springtime's buds. I would look across the yard and think, "Man, this stinks! I will never finish! It's so huge. I'm tired from a day at school (or week) and the last thing I want to do is sweep the yard clear of dried foliage! Maybe I was a little lazy, unmotivated or spoiled. Today I don't mind a little manual labor to make my day interesting. Back then it was a drag.

A teenager's attitude raking the leaves can be found throughout life. Even for missionaries.

I take a look at Kaiserslautern. The yard is huge. So many people don't know Jesus. They go about their business and try to survive the rat race with enough money at the end of the month so they can perhaps go on a nice vacation once a year and get out of this city for a few days. There are continually new problems falling all around us. I rake one area and more leaves fall behind me. I try to power through. I might even make some progress in one corner of the city and then, the wind blows. My successes are spread across the yard and it looks like I need to start over. Deep breath.

Once in a while I get desperate. "Oh God, when will you have mercy on this city?!" I'll read my Bible and find verses like, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Pray to the Lord of the harvest to send workers." I pray, "Send us your leaf blower of the Holy Spirit, O God!"

Yesterday we had a team meeting. Five of us discussed the future of the church, the leadership team and possibilities if something tragic happened to one or more of us. Would the small church and the FSJ discipleship program survive without us or our co-workers? Right now we're not in a place where we can afford coming home. It would be a setback.

We could survive, but it surely wouldn't be ideal to come home in December because our finances aren't in order. When I was a kid I also learned a lesson that raking the yard together is more rewarding than doing it alone. "Many hands make light work." was the often quoted cliché. Financially, we need more hands.

Currently, we have monthly pledges of $1,709. The amount needed is $2,505/month, leaving us roughly $800 short. We also have a deficit of roughly $3500.

Think about if you could help us out and we can finish our term here in Germany. If you would like to help, send me an email at mikelotvola@hotmail.com or I'm on Facebook, too. Thanks guys.

peace,

Mike

Comments

Popular Posts